Work Health and Safety Officer – Full-time, Permanent
Is keeping kids safe a passion? Then we’d love to hear from you!
We are looking for a dedicated and conscientious person to focus on keeping others safe.
Here at Trinity we view the safety of our students and staff as a top priority which is why we’re looking for someone to join our team and focus on this important area.
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, who has a background in this area and will invest the time and resources to support your work, you’ll also work alongside a dedicated Facilities Manager, so that you can make a real difference to the College.
You’ll have significant opportunity to influence our WHS framework, standard procedures and reporting structures.
Some of the key areas of focus in the coming year include:
- Leading the operation of our WHS Committee, which includes our executive leadership group, to ensure the efficient management of issues as risks are recorded, managed and mitigated.
- Reviewing our risk management framework, which includes how WHS is managed at various levels including operational managers, our executive team, Board sub-committees and our Board.
- Offering strategic and practical advice to staff as they plan activities (ranging from parent events, sports carnivals, excursions and student activities)
- Reviewing the policies and procedures which govern our daily operations and emergency responses.
In terms of your approach and personality, you’ll almost be two different people depending upon the situation you’re dealing with!
- Someone who is naturally positive, warm and friendly with great people skills; who can also adopt a “glass half-empty” view and see the potential risks and problems for what might go wrong.
- Endowed with common sense (which nowadays is getting to be a rare commodity), able to use your critical thinking skills and life experience to find practical solutions to the problems/scenarios that come up.
- Able to balance minimising red-tape and pointless bureaucracy, with sensible risk assessments, processes and prudent precautions, keeping everyone safe.
- Promote and encourage a safety-focused culture. This is critical for us because we don’t simply pay lip service to safety. We want your passion for the work and dedication to supporting others to be infectious and drive cultural behaviour within Trinity.
- Have a solution orientated approach, willingness to brainstorm with people seeking your guidance and be able to help others by genuinely contributing in a way that supports our goals.
This a great opportunity to make a difference and so we’re looking for someone who:
- Meets the definition of a work health and safety officer under the legislation, which is a minimum of a Certificate 4 in Work Health and Safety (BSB41419)
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated experience presenting professionally written incident reports, risk assessments and safety recommendations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to operate in both a strategic and hands-on capacity
- Holds a current Working with children card (Blue Card) or ability to obtain
Key benefits of joining Trinity Lutheran College include:
- Employee Assistance Program available to all staff
- Stimulating work, contemporary facilities
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Free onsite parking
- Access to onsite gym facilities
How to apply
Please email a brief resume and covering letter to email@example.com. Any further queries about these positions can be directed to John McDiarmid, Chief Operations Officer by calling (07) 5556 8200.
Applications close 4.00pm, Monday 21 August 2023
Interviews of suitable candidates will commence as soon as they are identified. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Trinity Lutheran College is an equal opportunity employer